Monday, April 11, 2011

From Start To Finish

My wife and I are only two people running Puffy Paws Kitty Haven along with a few volunteers and the court order Community Service Personal. These people are folks that got into trouble and are trying to pay their debt to society.

Why is it that the so called social rejects of society are doing more for the unwanted kitties under our care, than the normal God fearing good people of the Community ?

We were on the radio , in the Newspaper, asking churches to help us put adoption events on at their church. NOT ONE CHURCH CALLED !

We have been  begging this Community for help for years. Help with adoptions , PR, & fund raising events.

We finally have a handful of volunteers to put on a monthly adoption event but that is not enough we need more people.

While the Humane Society and other rescue groups in the area enjoy paid employees and a host of volunteers, we do not.

Don’t blame it on me. I’m who I’m .

Proof in  point.

We I ran my music media organization . The newspaper  “ The BackFlash “ and  the TV Show “Underground TV “  both  endeavors were promoting the local music scene in Rochester NY.

In two years I put out 24 issues with 10,000 copies coming over the press each month .

I had two TV show going on at  the same time. One was a half hour. Underground TV and the other was a hour long.” Underground TV Rocks Rochester ”.

I had the TV show in 250,000 homes in 5 New York Counties.

I had no problem in recruiting volunteers and assigning them projects to complete from start to finish.

From Video Taping a local music show down at the Penny Arcade, to editing the Newspaper, to proofreaders,  to reporters going on interviews to interview some of the biggest bands in business,.

Bands like Marylyn Manson, Candle box, Nine Inch Nail, Bo Diddley, Green Day and more.

I only have 6 college credits of education yet folks with , Masters , Bachelors,  and Associates degrees were volunteering their time to make the music scene a better place for the local musicians.

All under my direction.

They understood I could not do it all by myself .

Neither can Chrissy and I today with Puffy Paws.

Chrissy hauls in 600 pounds of cat litter around the Haven daily & takes it back out. She washes over 50 cat litter boxes daily. Every four hours she puts out the wet cat food at 18 feeding stations, like our Vet told us too.

She vacuum & mops and dust daily. She gives out meds. She brushes the kitties. She tends to the sick ones. She runs to the Vet and the store for supplies too. She does this day in and day out. She does the work of a paid staff of 10.

My job is to raise the $250 dollars a day to take care of the kitties daily needs, plus the operating expensive, every single day.

On most days I work up to 15-20 hours a day to accomplish this.

I run the Thrift Shop. I raise funds on-line. I take care of the Media. I run to the Vet. I'm our Web Master. I do all the graphic art work. I update on fb everyday. I pick up the kitties daily supplies in the evening. I pay the bills. I pick up donations for Thrift Shop. I put out the SOS's for help.

Our plates are full.

I put out all the fires that pop out daily. I'm my wife's venting post. I'm the fixer.

I’m in a fight for the kitties lives. If I fail at raising the funds needed to take care of the 230 under our care there will be no other option but to close down.

What choice would we have ?

It’s not fair but life is not.

There is not enough hours in the day for us to take on anymore

That is why we have been begging for help.

Asking folks to take on projects from start to finish.

Shame on this community for not stepping up to the plate with adoptions, PR and fundraising events for their unwanted cats.

Instead this Community tried to kill the cats and take away the cats by calling Code Enforcement and shutting all traffic down to the Haven.

Do you know how many more cats we could have adopted out if we could have folks come to the Haven for adoptions ?

I will put it this way. We had over 200 adoptions when we had open House at the Haven
three times a week.

Now we are struggling to find people to complete projects start to finish and for all the events we need to survive and take Puffy Paws to the next level.

But we will improvise , adapt and overcome and the Puffy Paws kitties will live another day.

The very sad reality is that the  only ones who suffered and that were killed by the hands of others were the community cats that we could not help  because we could not take them in because we are full because the community shut the adoptions at the Haven down.

No comments:

Post a Comment